Mr. Racin is of counsel to Klimaski & Associates and principal of the Law Office of John P. Racin in Washington, D.C. He has litigated a broad range of cases in the federal courts for more than thirty years. The focus of his practice is federal Indian law, fair employment and related work.
PRACTICE AREAS: Litigation; Native American Rights; Fair Employment.
- District of Columbia, 1977
- Maryland, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Antioch School of Law
J.D., June 1977.
- West Virginia University
Morgantown, West Virginia
B.A., May 1970.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association
Legal and Litigation Experience
- Martindale Hubbell Rating: AV
- Of Counsel to Klimaski & Associates, P.C., Washington, D.C. (August 2007 – Present), AV-rated firm engaged in broad array of litigation.
- Law Office of John P. Racin, Washington, D.C. (July 2003 – Present). Law office devoted to federal Indian law, fair employment and related litigation. Representative Cases:
- Geronimo v. United States, Civil Action No. 09-0303 (D.D.C.).
- Cheyenne Arapaho Tribes of Oklahoma v. United States, 558 F.3d 592 (D.C. Cir. 2009).
- Comanche Nation v. United States, 393 F.Supp. 2d 1196 (W.D. Ok. 2005).
- Weissbrodt & Racin, Washington, D.C. (December 1988 – July 2003). Partner in AV-rated litigation firm engaged in federal Indian law, civil rights and fair employment litigation. Representative Cases:
- Villines v. United Brotherhood of Carpenters & Joiners, 999 F.Supp. 97 (D.D.C. 1998).
- Hunter-Boykin v. George Washington University, 132 F.3d 77 (D.C. Cir. 1998).
- Egbuna v. Time-Life Libraries, Inc., 153 F.3d 184 (4th Cir. 1998) (en banc), cert. denied, 119 S.Ct. 1034 (1999).
- Saunders v. George Washington University, 768 F.Supp. 843 (D.D.C. 1991).
- O’Callaghan v. District of Columbia, 741 F.Supp. 273 (D.D.C. 1990).
- Law Office of John P. Racin, Washington, D.C. (October 1986 to December 1988). Solo practitioner engaged in litigation practice, including civil rights, fair employment and personal injury litigation. Representative Case:
- Lagon v. Barry, 658 F.Supp. 55 (D.D.C. 1987).
- Law Offices of Lawrence Speiser, Washington, D.C. (February 1980 to October 1986). Associate in AV-rated firm specializing in civil rights, fair employment and personal injury litigation. Representative Cases:
- Costello v. Foreign Service Grievance Board, 843 F.2d 540 (D.C. Cir. 1988).
- Donahoe v. Watt, 546 F.Supp. 753 (D.D.C. 1982), aff’d., 713 F.2d 864 (D.C. Cir. 1983).
- Muth v. Marsh, 525 F.Supp. 604 (D.D.C. 1981).
- Crowley v. Muskie, 496 F.Supp. 360 (D.D.C. 1980), rev’d. sub nom Crowley v. Shultz, 802 F.2d 498 (D.C. Cir. 1986), cert. denied, 484 U.S. 869 (1987).
- Antioch School of Law, Washington, D.C. (May 1978 to August 1980). Instructor and supervising attorney in Antioch’s clinical program.